Sunday, October 22, 2017

Quick Tip #3 [GEAR] Save the lens mount on both your lens and camera body.

I have seen a number of people with the new 150-600mm offerings using the camera strap attached to the camera body, with the entire unit slung over the shoulder.
These lenses are not light.  If you continue to do this the weight of the lens will wear the attachment points.  Eventually the lens will not stay attached to the camera.

You should always hold your camera/lens by the lens barrel or tripod foot.

Large mm lenses have tripod mounting feet.  There are 1/4-20 threaded holes in these feet designed to use different types of tripod mounting hardware.

Many aftermarket strap slings are available.  Many use a lug with a 1/4-20 thread designed to screw the sling attachment to the bottom of a camera.
Use this by screwing it to the lens foot.

I highly recommend you rig a 'leash' from the camera body to the lens.  If you inadvertently hit the lens release you might not know it until your camera hits the rocks at your feet.  My leash has save camera bodies multiple times, the most recent out on a trail survey just yesterday.

~~-----------------~~

I like and use a product by Peak Design called Slide.  I have a few of these and use them all the time.  What I like most about the slide is the ability to change the length of the strap in seconds, thus adjusting where the camera rides on my body.  The products of Peak Design are top quality and many of them are in my 'bag of trick's'.

What I like most about Peak Design is their attachment point design.  It is a very sturdy quick release system that will not come apart unless you do it yourself.

While on Peak Design products, my favorite item of theirs is the Clutch.  This is a hand strap mounted on the side of the camera that allows me to hold and shoot the camera with one hand (using a small lens).  It also helps me stabilize the unit when hand holding my 500mm monster.

The Clutch is wonderful when using a monopod, giving you the ability to shoot with one hand on the camera, the other out on the lens steadying the unit.  It also allows me to shoot one handed when tripod mounted.

I have a clutch on each camera body I own.

***10-27-17  UPDATE


I have been asked by a few people what the leash is I have been talking about.
Here is an image of my 7D Mark II with the 500mm on it.
Note there is a second attachment point. I have one on each side, on the 2 main bodies I use. When using smaller lenses I attach the Slide Strap to the camera. I will sometimes take it off when the body is on the 500mm and attach the leash. I take it off so I don't accidentally sling that strap across my shoulder. I have a dedicated strap on the 500mm that stays there.
I actually own two of the Peak Design Slide Straps. Very handy to have.

Using another product from Peak Design, I am able to quickly remove the leash when removing the body for use elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment