Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Photographing Sunsets


SHOOTING THE SUNSET:  When is the best time to shoot the sunset?

There is no real exact time that will give you the very best image of a sunset.  My favorite time is 'The After Sunset'.  This will give you some great color if the conditions are right.

When the sun is still up but nearing the horizon and peaking thru the clouds can also give you some excellent images.  Some can even have a sweet sunburst.   See Photo #2


Over and beyond Lake Winnisquam - Laconia, NH 06-19-13 

'Sun Sets Over Lake Winnisquam'

As I was shooting the 'after sunset' across the southern portion of Lake Winnisquam, each mountain range taking on its own hue, a Great Blue Heron flew by high over the water.  

A wonderful peaceful moment I shall remember for many years to come. 

Over and beyond Lake Winnisquam - Laconia, NH 06-19-13 




Sunset from the Oak Hill Rock Outcropping - Concord, NH 11-14-14
Reworked slightly in Photoshop on 08-22-16


The best time to shoot a sunset (my personal opinion) is after the sun goes all the way down.  That's when the real show starts!  I see so many people... just about everyone, photograph a wonderful sunset.  I occasionally set up at the end of a bridge as I often like to shoot across water, and the elevation can add depth.  One time, upwards of 50 cars stopped along a bridge over the Merrimack River at a sunset shoot I was at.  People with cameras from nice DSLR's to cell phones ran to the railing to capture the moment.  I just sat on the hood of my truck, enjoying the moment.

As soon as the sun dipped beyond the horizon everyone left. I may take a few images while the sun is going down... but my equipment is set up for the real beauty that comes shortly after the sun is gone... if the conditions are right, it can be unbelievably beautiful. It is almost always a treat and worth taking the time to see what nature has in store for you! I was the only one there; follow the link below to see what they all missed out on.
(If you click on the first image, then drop the sales box in its upper LH corner.  You can also drop the image scroll using the arrow bottom center.  From there you can use your arrow keys to scroll thru the images).



As for settings, I start out with fairly normal settings, then reduce the f/stop and shutter speed as the light fades.  (ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/1600th. Sec.)
It's beneficial to be tripod mounted so you can really drop the speed, but as long as you stay over 1/640th, Sec., you should be fine hand held.

I keep telling myself I should be on tripod... but I don't.  I probably should follow my own advice.

One thing to remember when shooting at very slow speeds.  If you take the photo by depressing the shutter, you will get a very slight blur from camera shake.  Thus a remote would be needed.  I have a RF Remote.  RF over IR is an important distinction.  Infra Red models are cheaper, but you need a clear line of sight to use it.  The RF release unit can stay in my pocket when I shoot.

If you find your self in this situation but do not have a remote, use the built in timer in the camera.
There are 3-second and 10-second timers.  Do not use the 3 second as you want the camera rock steady... 3 seconds is not enough time.






No comments:

Post a Comment